E Signatures have become a cornerstone of modern transactions but how can you create one effortlessly? In this Business Kitz blog post, we’ll explain what e-sign means and guide you through the simple steps to make your own, streamlining your paperwork and ushering you into the digital age of online documents.
What is e-Sign?
An electronic signature refers to a digital representation of a person’s handwritten signature or a method used to indicate agreement or consent electronically. They are used in various contexts, such as contracts, agreements, and documents, to provide a legally binding way for individuals and organisations to authenticate and authorise transactions and agreements without the need for physical signatures. E-signatures offer efficiency, convenience, and security in the digital age, reducing the need for physical paperwork and streamlining document workflows.
E-signs can take several forms:
- Typed or digital signatures: These are electronic representations of a person’s handwritten signature created using digital drawing tools or stylus devices.
- Clickwrap agreements: These involve clicking an “I Agree” or similar button on a webpage or within an app to signify consent or acceptance of terms and conditions.
- Digital certificates: These involve using cryptographic keys to sign documents electronically, providing a high level of security and authentication.
- Biometric signatures: Utilizing biometric data like fingerprint or facial recognition to verify and sign documents.
How do I create an e-signature?
Creating an e-sign is a straightforward process. Here are the basic steps to create one:
- Choose a Method: Decide how you want to create your e-signature. You can use various methods, including drawing your signature with a stylus or your finger, typing your name in a specific font, or using a specialised e-signature tool or software.
- Digital Tools: If you prefer a digital e-signature, you can use software like Adobe Acrobat, DocuSign, or other esign apis. These tools often provide templates and options to create and customize your e-signature.
- Draw Your Signature: If you’re creating a hand-drawn e-signature, use a touchscreen device or a graphics tablet to draw your signature. Alternatively, you can draw it on paper and scan it into your computer.
- Use a Signature Font: If you choose a typed e-signature, you can find various signature-style fonts to install on your computer. Then, you can type your name in that font to create your e-signature.
- Save Your E-Signature: Save your e-signature as an image file (e.g., JPEG or PNG) or, if you’re using specialized e-signature software, it will save automatically.
Checking the legality of your e-Sign
E-signatures have become widely accepted in legal and business transactions, thanks to various laws and regulations, such as the Electronic Transactions Act 1999 (Cth) and similar state and territory legislation. Remember that the acceptability of e-signatures can vary depending on local laws and the requirements of the party requesting your signature. Always ensure that your e-signature method complies with legal standards in your jurisdiction and the specific document’s requirements.
How do I eSign a document in my email?
To eSign document online or in your email:
- Open the email containing the document you need to sign.
- Download or open the document attachment.
- Use an e-signature tool: Many email platforms, like Gmail, offer built-in e-signature features. Look for options like “Open with DocuSign” or “Sign with Adobe Sign” to access these tools.
- Follow the prompts to create or upload your e-signature and position it on the document.
- Confirm and save the signed document.
- Send the signed document back by replying to the email or using the platform’s sharing options.
How do I get an eSign in PDF?
To create an eSign on a PDF document:
- Open the PDF using a compatible software like Adobe Acrobat or an online platform like DocuSign.
- Locate the “Sign” or “Add Signature” option within the software.
- Choose to create a new e-signature or upload a pre-made one.
- Follow the prompts to position your e-signature on the PDF where required.
- Verify the placement and appearance of your e-signature.
- Save the PDF with the e-signature applied.
- If necessary, use the software’s sharing or sending options to distribute the signed PDF.
Managing a business can be tricky, but we are here to make it easier. Check out our Business Kitz Subscription Service today to access our full range of legal, commercial and employment documents to begin your business with a solid foundation that ensures compliance. If you are unsure about how to best protect yourself and your future business, our sister company, Legal Kitz can assist you. Additionally, you can request a FREE consultation with one of their highly experienced team members here today, or contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1300 988 954.